If you want to know more about Chlamydia control, check out this video:
Ovine Enzootic Abortion is a worldwide disease of significant economic and welfare importance which can result in heavy losses due to abortion storms.
The etiological agent of this disease is Chlamydia abortus, an obligate intracellular bacteria.
VACCINATION: THE MOST EFFECTIVE WAY TO PREVENT AND CONTROL IT
The ideal vaccine should have characteristics like:
● Good reduction in abortion cases caused by the agents which the vaccine is targeted against.
● Reduction in shedding on farm.
● Should be possible and safe to use during gestation and lactation – To use when it suits the farmer and veterinarian best.
A vaccine with these characteristics was resealed in 2019 by HIPRA Laboratory and is the result of a great team effort.
The vaccine was made by:
● Optimizing the production process of high yield cultures to get an adequate dose of antigen in the vaccine.
● Great focus in the inactivation process, keeping the integrity of the MOMP surface proteins, keeping the immunogenic characteristics of the agent.
“The adjuvant is one of the major features of this new vaccine”
The adjuvant was developed alongside the vaccine and it promotes the suspension of the antigen particles and it increases the availability of antigen to the APCs, increasing the efficacy of the vaccine.
All this provides an effective and safe immune response from vaccination to control and prevent abortions by Chlamydia abortus and Salmonella Abortusovis.